About the Mission Endowment Fund

The Mission Endowment Fund (MEF) was established at the congregational meeting on August 4, 2002 to primarily accept planned giving, or life estate, gifts. Examples of such gifts include life insurance proceeds, will bequests, charitable gift annuities, real estate and retirement plans.

Upon receipt of such gifts, the MEF immediately tithes the first ten percent (10%) of each gift to the Oregon Synod Mission Endowment Fund. The MEF maintains the remaining 90% of all such gifts as endowments, and distributes the annual earnings from these endowments to ministry expressions beyond the operating budget of the King of Kings congregation as follows:

  1. Up to 40% of the annual distribution for support of congregational members seeking seminary scholarships or higher education scholarships or seeking support for involvement in local, national or global ministries;
  2. Up to 30% of the annual distribution for special projects within the local area of the King of Kings congregation;
  3. Up to 50% of the annual distribution for special ministries within the Oregon Synod of the ELCA and/or the churchwide ministries of the ELCA; and,
  4. Up to 20% of the annual distribution for extraordinary programs, ministry initiatives and or capital improvement within the congregation.

The Mission Endowment Fund (MEF) resolution approved by the congregation established the Mission Endowment Board, a five member board reporting to the Council and congregation, as Fund administrators. The Board is elected by the congregation and currently meets quarterly. Current Board members are Adonica DeVault, Jeanie Dupere, Doug McDowell, Gordon Merseth and Martin Schmidt.

Getting around to writing or updating your will is one of those things that seems always to wind up at the bottom of our “to do” list.

Sometimes, however, we get a nudge that makes us act.  Read complete article.

Mission Endowment Fund Documents

The following documents relating to the Mission Endowment Fund are available as PDF files by clicking on the links below:

Endowment Fund Resolution (51 KB)
Endowment Fund Policies (39 KB)

To view PDF files, you must have the Adobe Reader plug-in installed on your computer. This plug-in works with your browser to display these documents. The PDF format allows you to view, print and save these documents in their original resolution. To install the Adobe Reader, click on the link below: